After three days of competition and evaluation at Road Atlanta, Peter Portante was announced the winner of the 2012 Skip Barber Championship Shootout earning a USF2000 National Championship ride in 2013 (courtesy of MAZDASPEED), $20,000 cash from California Scents, and an Indy Lights test with Bryan Herta Autosport.
The competition was anything but easy, however, as the top-four drivers were separated by a mere 3.3 points following five race events, a fitness test, a media evaluation, and a business proposal review.
Final Skip Barber Championship Shootout Awards are listed below.
2012 Skip Barber Race Series Champion Shootout Awards:
- Peter Portante – 1st place: $200,000 MAZDASPEED USF2000 Scholarship presented by Mazda for the 2013 season; $20,000 cash from California Scents; IndyLights Test with Bryan Herta Autosport
- Jake Eidson – 2nd place: $25,000 Race Series Scholarship
- Danilo Estrela – 3rd place: $20,000 Race Series Scholarship
- Tristan DeGrand – 4th place: $15,000 Race Series Scholarship
- Aaron Telitz – 5th place: $10,000 Race Series Scholarship