Heading into Edmonton’s Round Nine of the 2012 Star Mazda Championship, Linares Racing driver Camilo Schmidt’s best finish was ninth at Barber Motorsports Park.
During qualifying at Edmonton, Schmidt spun creating a temporary red flag. His hopes weren’t exactly high heading into the race. He would start 15th out of 19 cars.
Despite the early setback, Schmidt knew his weekend was just getting underway and with the positive influence of his team, he began his charge through the field. After just five laps, the 16-year-old Venezuelan was up to fifth having passed 10 cars.
Then the rain came.
A multi-car incident in the closing laps aided his progress but much of his charge took place early. When racing resumed, following the melee, Schmidt would take advantage of contact between teammates Jack Hawksworth and Gustavo Menezes and lead the field toward the finish.
The next flag Schmidt saw was the checkered as he earned his first career victory 1.281 seconds ahead of pole sitter Sage Karam. Karam put in an impressive drive of his own, charging from 10th to 2nd during the green-white-checkered finish. JDC MotorSport’s Gabby Chaves would finish third with Juncos Racing teammates Martin Scuncio and Connor De Phillippi rounding out the top five.
Team GDT’s Ryan Tveter finished sixth after starting 16th. Hawksworth would finish seventh and retain his championship lead by 37 points over De Phillippi.
Star Mazda Results
Grand Prix of Edmonton
- Camilo Schmidt – Linares Racing
- Sage Karam – Andretti Autosport
- Gabby Chaves – JDC MotorSports
- Martin Scuncio – Juncos Racing
- Connor De Phillippi – Juncos Racing
- Ryan Tveter – Team GDT
- Jack Hawksworth – Team Pelfrey
- Juan Piedrahita – JDC MotorSports
- Zach Veach – Andretti Autosport
- Diego Ferreira – Juncos Racing
- Andres Mendez – Team GDT
- Blair Robertshaw – Robertshaw Racing
- Gustavo Menezes – Team GDT
- Carlos Linares – Linares Racing
- Ashley Freiberg – JDC MotorSports
- Zach Meyer – AIM Autosport
- Stefan Rzadzinski – JDC MotorSports
- Bruno Palli – Juncos Racing
- Petri Suvanto – Team Pelfrey