While the number of races is higher in 2012, the championship will be run over seven weekends; a nice move by officials to reduce travel expenses for both teams and drivers. Factoring in the Winterfest, drivers will have the opportunity to compete in 20 USF2000 races in 2012.
Here’s a look at the current schedule:
2012 USF2000 National Championship Schedule
- March 15-16 (Races 1/2) Sebring International Raceway Road Course – with ALMS
- March 24-25 (Races 3/4) Streets of St. Petersburg Street Circuit – with INDYCAR
- May 26 (Race 5) Lucas Oil Raceway Oval – with USAC
- August 4-5 (Races 6/7) Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course Road Course – with INDYCAR/ALMS
- August 17-18 (Races 8/9/10) Road America Road Course – with ALMS
- September 1-2 (Races 11/12) Streets of Baltimore Street Circuit – with INDYCAR/ALMS
- September 14-15 (Races 13/14) Virginia International Raceway – with ALMS
Cooper Tires Winterfest Championship (six race mini-series):
- February 6-7 Sebring International Raceway
- February 11-12 Palm Beach International Raceway
Series Open Tests/Oval Clinic:
- May 2-3 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
- May 4 Oval Clinic at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- May 5 Lucas Oil Raceway
- June 25-26 Road America
Overall, the schedule looks really good. It contains four permanent road courses, two street circuits and one oval. It places drivers in front of IndyCar and ALMS team owners on a regular basis. That said, it would be nice to see Iowa return in June and fill in the gap between May 26 (Lucas Oil Raceway) and Aug. 4-5 (Mid-Ohio) — not to mention the fact that it would give drivers another oval race. But, we can’t have it all.
Drivers will have a test at Road America on June 25-26, so they won’t be out of the car for as long as it might appear at first glance.
Read the official USF2000 release, here.