INDYCAR released the 12-race 2012 Firestone Indy Lights schedule earlier this week. One event in mid-October is yet to be named.
The current release has eight venues returning from 2011, but drops the Milwaukee Mile, New Hampshire Motor Speedway, and Kentucky Speedway. A few new additions have been added.
On June 2-3, the Series will run at Raceway at Belle Isle Park. On July 21-22 — midway through the Canadian stops — drivers will compete at Edmonton City Centre Airport. Then, on Sept. 15, teams will make the haul to Fontana Speedway in California for the first time in seven years.
The schedule is split between road courses, street circuits, and ovals. Here’s how it breaks down.
- 63.6% – Street Circuits (including Edmonton)
- 9.0% – Road Courses
- 27.3% – Ovals
*excluding the yet-to-be-named event in October.
The current list is certainly street-circuit heavy, but that’s not a bad thing. Drivers have less (or zero) opportunity to do pre-event testing on those tracks, which should help level the playing field. Additionally, street circuits tend to provide additional challenges for drivers and engineers (surface paint, bumps, manhole covers, surface oils, less run-off area, etc.) which, in theory, requires more of the driver in terms of feedback and adaptability.
Hit the jump to see the 2012 Firestone Indy Lights schedule.
2012 Firestone Indy Lights Schedule
- March 24-25: Streets of St. Petersburg, Fla.
- March 31-April 1: Barber Motorsports Park
- April 14-15: Streets of Long Beach, Calif.
- May 25: Indianapolis Motor Speedway ‘Freedom 100’
- June 2-3: Raceway at Belle Isle Park in Detroit, Mich.
- June 22-23: Iowa Speedway
- July 7-8: Streets of Toronto
- July 21-22: Edmonton City Centre Airport
- Aug. 5: Streets of Trois-Rivieres, Quebec
- Sept. 1-2: Streets of Baltimore
- Sept. 15: Auto Club Speedway – Fontana, Calif.
- TBD – TBD