Turns eight and nine weren’t friendly to drivers on Sunday.
Particularly those who were leading the Firestone Indy Lights race on the Streets of Long Beach.
Peter Dempsey was the first driver to exit the 11-turn, 1.968-mile street course while leading when his No. 36 o2 Racing entry impacted the tire barriers on the exit of Turn 9. Then, in the closing laps, Josef Newgarden saw his day come to an end in similar fashion in Turn 8.
Conor Daly was able to hang on, however, claiming his first career Indy Lights victory. Newgarden’s heart-breaking crash ended Sam Schmidt Motorsports chance at a 1-2-3 team finish.
Esteban Guerreri, who qualified on pole for Sunday’s race, finished runner-up in the No. 7 SSM entry. Stefan Wilson finished third, earning his second consecutive podium.
Gustavo Yacaman and James Winslow rounded out the top-five, respectively. For a detailed recap, make sure to replay today’s LIVE BLOG.
Complete Results from Long Beach after the jump.
Grand Prix of Long Beach
Firestone Indy Lights
Round 3 Complete Results
- Conor Daly – Sam Schmidt Motorsports
- Esteban Guerrieri – Sam Schmidt Motorsports
- Stefan Wilson – Andretti Autosport
- Gustavo Yacaman – Team Moore Racing
- James Winslow – Andretti Autosport
- Victor Carbone – Sam Schmidt Motorsports
- Mikael Grenier – O2 Racing Technology
- Anders Krohn – Belardi Auto Racing
- David Ostella – Jensen MotorSport
- Jorge Goncalvez – Belardi Auto Racing
- Rusty Mitchell – Team E
- Victor Garcia – Team Moore Racing
- Josef Newgarden – Sam Schmidt Motorsports
- Duarte Ferreira – Bryan Herta Autosport
- Juan Pablo Garcia – Jensen MotorSport
- Ryan Phinny – Brooks Associates Racing
- Peter Dempsey – O2 Racing Technology