Junior Open Wheel Talent

News and Views on Drivers Chasing Open-Wheel Stardom

Vinicius Perdigao wins USF2000 Winterfest Race 1

by Ryan Stringfield
Posted January 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm U.S. F2000 National Championship

JDC Motorspors’ driver Vinicius Perdigao, a Brazilian Rotax national champion, drove to victory on Monday, Jan. 3, in the opening race of the 2011 USF2000 Winterfest at Sebring International Raceway. Andretti Autosport’s Zach Veach earned the pole position for today’s race and led early before a gearbox failure relegated him to the sideline. One lap later, Veach’s teammate, Spencer Pigot also suffered a gearbox malfunction. New Jersey’s Trent Hindman finished runner-up with Matt DiLeo crossing the stripe third.

The second race of the week is schedule for 4:10 p.m. EST, Tuesday. Drivers return to action Jan. 12-13 at Homestead Miami Speedway for the USF2000 Winterfest finale.

Full Results:

Championship Class

1. Vinicius Perdigao
  2. Trent Hindman
  3. Matt DiLeo
  4. Spencer Pigot (DNF)
  5. Zach Veach (DNF)

National Class

1. JR Smart

18 Comments

1. Jim on January 3, 2011 5:06 pm

Six cars?

2. brendan on January 3, 2011 6:33 pm

this series has been plagued by low entries and big budgets. There are other f2000 series with much deeper fields (car counts and talent) that can be run for half the cost.

3. USF 2000 on January 4, 2011 6:27 am

Brendan – then go run them! USF2000 is not for everybody dont be a hater.

4. Jim on January 4, 2011 7:30 am

You mean the east coast series? I thought that was all club

5. brendan on January 4, 2011 10:03 am

a. I’ve always freely admitted that I’m a hater, of many things
    b. in this instance it’s less hating and more presenting of fact
    c. it’s quite obvious the USF2000 series isn’t
    “for everybody”, hence, there were only 6 cars
    d. “if you’ve got hate in your heart, let it”. – CB

6. brendan on January 4, 2011 1:07 pm

hmmm typo on my part.

d. “if you’ve got hate in your heart, let it OUT”. – CB

7. USF 2000 on January 5, 2011 7:11 am

Brendan,I guess the competition is tougher than you thought when both Skip Barber shootout winers get beat.

8. Declan on January 5, 2011 8:57 am

Six cars, including 1 National class runner?

What is the point of this Winter Series other than to line the race teams pockets?

This series is already too expensive, costing twice as much as the other F2000 series and seems to be a lovely profit centre for Andersen & Andretti Autosport.

To be honest, IndyCar should never have endorsed a series that has simply diluted the open wheel ladder even more.

There were four regular runners for the main title in 2010, utterly ridiculous.

Dex

9. Declan on January 5, 2011 9:03 am

Six cars?

Why is Andersen Racing running a Winter Series?

Come to think of it, why was US F2000 even created. Double the cost of F2000 and with terrible car counts. I can only assume its quite the profit center for Andersen & Andretti Autosport.

It’s a pointless and expensive dilution of the ladder series in the USA.

IndyCar didn’t create a rival USAC Sprint Car series, so why was there a need to create another F2000 Championship?

If somebody could comer up with a decent answer I’d appreciate it.

10. Declan on January 5, 2011 9:24 am

Apologies for the double post, I thought the first one had not been posted.

11. ORP on January 5, 2011 9:42 am

I think the USF2000 is an excellent opportunity for young racers to compete in front of a Indycar audience.I also think it’s a great chance for them to meet Indycar owners and personnel.Dan probably making too much money and maybe even losing on the winter series.The winter series is probably a chance for new drivers in the series to get track time and I don’t see anything wrong with that.

12. NaBUru38 on January 6, 2011 8:50 am

Declan, Brendan, I agree that a six-car field is poor. Too bad, I’d prefer the USF2000 Winterfest to be healthier But why do you complain? The six drivers and their teams paid for what they got. If they had thought the money wasn’t worth it, they wouldn’t have entered. What is better, a poor championship or no championship? Six drivers wanted to be there, let them do it.

IndyCar wanted to run a championship to bridge the gap between karting and Star Mazda, so they hired Dan Andersen. He approached F2000CS folks, but they were happy with what they were doing and didn’t want to turn into an IndyCar feeder and lose freedom (e.g. free choice of cars). The only choice Andersen had was do do something new from zero, so there you have the USF2000.

13. Jeffrey on January 7, 2011 10:38 am

USF2000 was set up to help career-minded drivers move up the Road to Indy ladder, and is clearly created for a different group of drivers than the other “Club” F2000 series. I think you will see a steady increase in car counts as Open-Wheel racing becomes more and more popular again.

I don’t understand why there has to be a hate between the F2000CS and the USF2000, they cover totally different markets and really don’t compete with each other at all.

14. Declan on January 8, 2011 6:48 am

Tell that to the young Brazilians and at least one Scot I know, who is running in F2000 that you describe as a “club” series.

Was it a “club” series when JR Hildebrand, Jay Howard or Jonathan Bomarito won it?

European racing is heavily criticised for having way too many feeder series which dilute the talent pool and confuse sponsors, this is no different.

15. brendan on January 10, 2011 2:01 pm

I can’t imagine this series is making any money. In fact I’d guess it’s probably hemorrhaging money.

Garbage car counts, bloated budgets, and reliance on subsidies. This is not how the sport will get back to long term survivability.

“career minded”, do you have MLS listings for bridges in brooklyn too?

A split didn’t work for champcar/irl it won’t work here. In the end we were ALL worse for it.

16. Oxford on January 10, 2011 6:26 pm

USF2000 is going to be around a while. Deal with it. In most cases, you will hate what you are intimidated by. Instead of finding reasons not to compete, direct your energy and resources into building your own series and driving/drivers.
    Fact: Some USF2000 teams found significant funding for their drivers.
    Any and all drivers in the USF2000 series could have competed in the F2000 series. They chose not to. They weren’t looking for cheap, they were making decisions that were best for their careers. Get over it and move on and enjoy your series.

17. Jeffrey on January 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Declan – Jay Howard, Jonathan Bomarito and Jay Howard all won the USF2000 championship, which unfortunately folded when they were trying to introduce the Dallara tub car. Since then the F2000CS took over for a couple of years, but now the USF2000 is back… How many pro drivers has the f2000cs created versus the USF2000 championship? None would be a safe statement, right?!

I agree that a split is never positive, but you really cannot compare these two series to IRL and Champ Car, so the same does not apply here. I can appreciate your passion for the f2000cs and it certainly serves its own purpose in a fantastic way.

18. brendan on January 11, 2011 12:55 am

a. i’m intimidated by very little. except heights I’m deathly afraid of heights. and spiders. and the dark. and clowns.
    b. since the schedule came out I was thinking I wanted to go play with usf2000 in Baltimore. I know a club owner down there who I’m pretty sure I can work out another trackside entertainment/sponsorship deal with. It will be a riot and as usual everyone is invited to my rig for the party.

Write a Comment