Junior Open Wheel Talent

News and Views on Drivers Chasing Open-Wheel Stardom

RIP Joe Stimola

by Ryan Stringfield
Posted February 13, 2010 at 3:50 pm open wheel racing news

I received some sad news this morning that racing icon Joe Stimola has passed away due to complications following open heart surgery.  My thoughts and condolences go out to Joe’s family and friends.  The F2000 Championship posted a nice story on Joe this morning.  RIP Joe.

6 Comments

1. The Speedgeek on February 13, 2010 11:20 pm

That’s very sad news. When I crewed a Formula Ford for two years, Joe revalved out shocks at the track multiple times, and he was the guy that our car owner (slash driver) would always go to to get the car teched. I didn’t know Joe well, but the few times I was around him it was obvious that he was a very nice guy and quite the character.

He’ll be missed.

2. Stu on February 14, 2010 12:21 pm

This is indeed a tragedy. I have known Joe since the 1970s when I use to hang out at Bridgehampton. He was always a gentleman, someone who helped many drivers during the early days of their careers. He will be missed by many of us who knew him over the years.

3. Billy Maher on February 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Very sad news… Joe was instrumental in my development as a racing mechanic in the late 70s and early 80s, and I had so much fun working for him and being with everyone I met through him… I only spoke with him in November and he helped me solve a handling problem with my race car.. A GREAT man and quite a character.. He will be missed, my condolences to Nancy, Jamie, his brothers and surviving family…

4. Betty Horan Gloner on February 15, 2010 11:10 am

Very sad news, my prayers are with the family. Knew Joe through his brother Greg and growing up in Locust Valley. Terrific family!

5. Michael DeFontes on February 15, 2010 11:37 am

This is very sad. I first met Joe at the 1998 Daytona 24 hour race while driving a Ferrari. He worked for the team owner, but he chose to de-brief me as I was the fastest driver in practice. In two sessions I was 4 seconds faster with his help. I loved the guy. He would always stop and have lunch with me and my crew whenever he was at the track offering set up advice. I will miss him. Thoughts and prayers to his family

6. Marty Tenenbaum on April 5, 2010 8:54 pm

I met Joe in 1972 at the age of 18 at his shop in Locust Valley. I was a young kid with a muscle car dragster and wanted to get into open wheel cars. The driver at that time was a friend of mine and he said let’s go see Joe. He was in the middle of pulling an engine and he stopped and spent almost 2 hours with us to answer questions about Formula Fords. Because of Joe I spent the best 4 years of my life as a mechanic on a Royale RP3A. Of course I would nooge him at the race track with qustions!

Just a great guy!